Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Biggest Little Blog, Part Two

Here's the second half of the trip, driving from Reno to San Francisco. A beautiful drive, really.



Since Amelia stunk, we stuffed her in the back. Here was her view of Donner Lake.


Bay Bridge, aka That Green Bridge.



"I think we're in San Francisco guys."



Golden Gate Bridge, aka That Red Bridge.


Do you see what I see?


Tourist time.





And yes, one of my lucky gnomes made the trip.


Whatever happened to predictability? When you're lost out there, and you're all alone, there's a scene from your favorite TGIF show to carry you home.




Ace and TJ know how expensive this place is.


Then it was off to my favorite part of San Francisco, City Lights Bookstore. It was founded by a poet in the Beat era of the 50's and 60's, and was instrumental in the success of Allen Ginsberg's Howl. This place was absolutely full of books, and for us it was a dream.


Completely unstaged. Seriously.






I get this goofy face every time I read Kerouac.


After years of searching, I've finally found The Door, and my, what a story he has to tell.


Here's a sweet bar next door to City Lights.


Then it was off to 710 Ashbury, former home of the Grateful Dead.


Which is just up the street from the pretty awesome RVCA store on the corner of Haight and Ashbury.


As I was walking along Haight, a little something caught my eye.


Upon closer inspection...


And since I didn't get enough books, we ventured into the equally as awesome Booksmith.


If Nick May ever got a Mini, it'd definitely be this one.


Next was dinner at The Stinking Rose with Amelia's dad.


For starters we swabbed these on our garlic bread rolls. For those of you who aren't familiar with The Stinking Rose, everything -literally everything- is cooked in garlic to the 28th degree.


For schnitz and giggles, we even tried the garlic ice cream. Great start, awful finish. Kinda like that one movie.


Then a brisk walk over to Fisherman's Wharf to find Bush Man and the sealions, none of which were there.


But in case you didn't know who Bush Man was, here's a quick video.


Alas, our trip was over. I had a wedding to attend to on Saturday, so we found a hotel in Gilroy, coincidentally a garlic-centric town (maybe our bodies were unequivocally yearning for this area), to rest our heads for the night. If you've ever driven up to San Francisco, you've probably past through this town. Next time you smell garlic, check to see if you're passing through Gilroy, because you probably are.

Pero la cosa que me gusta mas es...


Story of her life.


Great mini vacation to get the mind right. I've got a few days before I leave again, and after that I'll be out on the right coast for a little something- stay tuned for that.

Now, to catch up on sleep. Jen With One N's got me beaten on a ration of at least 23098534:1.

No comments: