Monday, August 25, 2008

The Biggest Little Blog, Part One

I just got back from a road trip to San Francisco, and along the way I got to stop in June Lake and Reno, caught a show with Devendra Banhart and Beck, and also somehow made it in time for a friend's wedding. Here are a few highlights from the first couple of days.

On the road, again.


This time of year, June Lake is absolutely beautiful, it really is one of the best secrets yet. While everyone is at Mammoth, we get to enjoy the peacefulness that is June. If you've ever been, keep telling people that this place sucks.


I saw a lot of this for most of the trip.


If only that National Security Threat Level had a sweet mascot like Smokey, maybe I'd care a bit more.


This was Jen With One N's new car's first road trip. Interestingly enough, it's owner didn't drive a mile.


When you've been driving for almost 8 hours, your vision tends to blur. I had no idea I had crossed the California-Nevada border until I saw this decal.

"Well I guess we're in Nevada, guys."



The room at the hotel was ginormous, and luckily had a microwave to cook my all-time favorite snack.



Did I mention it had it's own private elevator?


So after a relaxing shower, I decided to hit the sack early- until Jen and Amelia burst in and said that Devendra's band was downstairs eating sandwiches. As quick as you could say Usain Bolt, we booked it downstairs and met them, and talked for quite a bit.

"So what are you guys going to do tonight?" -me

"I don't know. We were looking at laser tag. What about you?" -Noah

"Probably bowling." -me

"They have an alley?" -Greg

"Yeah! We should bowl." -me

"We should, see you later then maybe?" -Noah

We probably should have snapped a few more pictures, but when you meet people in a supergroup band (ie, Priestbird, Vetiver, Los Hermanos, Vetiver, Little Wings, you geek out so much that you don't think properly, especially when they want to bowl with you.

Here's my first out of body experience. Greg Rogove, Luckey Remington, Noah Georgeson, Pete Newsome.


Devendra wasn't there, so we asked ourselves what he may have been doing. I suggested that he may have been watching a movie with his girlfriend, while Jen and Amelia thought that maybe he was doing yoga in his room with his girlfriend. More on that later.

The next day the girls spent the day at the pool, while I spent all of it sleeping until it was time for the show.


We made friends! Sandy and Kels, you were great.


Remember the yoga theory? Well, as it turns out, Devendra was wearing a 70s yoga suit.


"As awesome as this thing is, it's totally riding my butt." -Devendra

"Isn't yoga still banned in Nevada?"
-Noah



Check out this awesome cover.


Or check out his poetic banter.


Or perhaps you're into face melters?


"Hey Noah, can you give me the setlist?" -Jen With One N

"Oh hi, Jen! Sure, I'll give it to you right after the show." -Noah


Beck is by far the coolest Scientologist, ever.



At one point he asked Devendra and company to come back out to sing his son's favorite song.





After the show, we hit the town to take some pictures. The only problem was that it was almost midnight, and the freaks were definitely out. It literally felt like we were in the Thriller video.

Let's stay in the car instead.


Reno, where on Fridays you can earn 250 points on your rewards card, two free New York steaks, and a 4 pack of Bud!


Instead, we headed back to our hotel where Jen got her first licks at gambling. No joke, she stopped after she won $1.75.


Our measly winnings.


After the show, dodging creepsters in downtown Reno, gambling, and eating at the cafe for the late night special, there was only one thing left to do....














WRESTLE!!


Part two coming tomorrow. It's good to be back.

2 comments:

Natalie Strickland said...

HAHAHAHAHA! that wrestle picture is going under my heros section.





this is serious.

Anonymous said...

You should check out this t-shirt that he designed for the Yellow Bird Project:

http://www.yellowbirdproject.com

All of the prizzofits go to charity!