Sunday, July 20, 2008

"God Gave Rock and Roll to You"

...as told to me by Rod Argent and Colin Blunstone.

On Thursday evening, I was lucky enough to see one of my all-time favorite bands, The Zombies, play at The Grove of Anaheim. And guess who opened for them?



Yep, Jefferson Starship! Yeah, from the same people who gave you hits like Somebody to Love, White Rabbit, and who can forget Volunteers? Sure, it was Jefferson Airplane then, and Grace Slick isn't singing anymore, but it's the same vibe with the same message- Make a change, and start a revolution!

Check out how tight his pants are, in addition to the acid-laced headband he also has on. Black is back, bitch.


Standing O after their set; very well deserved.


Then The Zombies come up to bat, and sound just like they did in '68. Mmm, '68. '68 was a good year.


I filmed this, but due to my overall excitement I couldn't keep my hand steady. Enjoy the audio, though.


The first of many standing ovations. This guy clapping was the best clapper ever. I'd like to hire him if I ever do stand up. Matter of fact, I think it was him.


I don't know what, but I was in total Dreamweaver mode during their set. My eyes were glassed over, and this is how I saw it.


The World's Greatest Clapper strikes again.


One, two, three...four, five. Yeah, that's about five Tommy Bahama dudes in this picture, and it was that kinda night. You know what I mean.


As if my night couldn't get any better, Davey Jones greeted me as I pulled in the driveway. What a gentlemen.


My final review of the show-

It was nice to see two of my favorite bands in that era play in such an awesome venue. Although it was mellowed out with the dinner tables with not enough room for us hippies to dance, it was just a great experience nonetheless. Colin Blunstone still sounds like his younger self, a but aged, but like a fine wine it grew well with the years. And Rod Argent still has golden fingers on the organ. Although they're pretty much ancient compared to the stuff out today, you couldn't help but appreciate what these bands meant to the people, the universal raza, in a time where answers got lost behind political greed and corruption.

It sends chills down my spine thinking about what I would have done if I would have heard Jefferson Airplane play Volunteers.

Look whats happening out in the streets
Got a revolution got to revolution
Hey I'm dancing down the streets
Got a revolution got to revolution
Aint it amazing all the people I meet
Got a revolution got to revolution
One generation got old
One generation got soul
This generation got no destination to hold
Pick up the cry
Hey now its time for you and me
Got a revolution got to revolution
Come on now were marching to the sea
Got a revolution got to revolution
Who will take it from you
We will and who are we
We are volunteers of america


What would I do now?

1 comment:

itsbowietime said...

isnt it jefferson airplane who did those songs? I dont know you but I envy you for seeing the zombies