Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Showcase Theatre, R.I.P.

[editors note: This is a post written by Bryan about Corona's beloved Showcase theatre. The City of Corona has bought the surrounding
property and has essentially forced the theatre to relocate elsewhere in Southern California. I remember the first time going to the Showcase sometime in high school for a buddy's show and realizing how intimate it was inside- and every time I went back that would be the first thing to cross my mind. Now I didn't go all too often for me to write this eulogy, so here are some words from a regular..]


R.I.P. Showcase Theatre



About two months ago I was at the Showcase Theatre watching my friends band play a show. It was a mormal night; saw all the regulars and started to talk to a friend of mine that works the door. A few minutes into our talk I knew something was wrong. He told me that Showcase was closing down.

My heart sunk.

~Fast forward to April 27, 2008~

Tony and I head out for one last night at our second home. Just after we park and start walking, instantly cops flash their lights on us as(note: cop encounter number 1). A bit later we take a walk to the gas station to get some water, and as we're waiting for the opposing light to turn green we cross the street. Problem was, we didn't realise the walk sign didn't come on so when we get to the other side of the street, two cops on bikes stop us (cop encounter number 2) and give us tickets for jay walking.



As the night went on we had chats with the friends we've made here at the theatre over the years. It was here where our friend Tim asked us to walk with him to the ATM. The first ATM was broken so we thought, "hey, let's use the drive-thru one." Cue police conflice number 3. Like a freaking movie they pull up, jump out of their cars, and put their hands on their guns. One goes, "What the hell do you think you're doing?". After we tell them the other ATM is broken, just like that they take off an leave.

After the last band we went inside for some last looks. For lack of a better word everyone was sad; I saw a few girls crying. Everyone stood there for about 20 minutes not really saying much. We all just looked at each other saying, "I can't believe this is it".

All we could do was to sit and talk about old shows.

Here they are staring to take the lights down



Old Friends


The nazi who jumped on me a few weeks back jumped from here




I've been coming here since 2001 and have been to countless shows that I'll never forget. All those good times...

When the night came to a end and started to head home, it started to sink in.

It's gone. It's really gone.

No comments: